A short archival film programme will play continuously at the Half Moon Swimming Club on the Great South Wall from 14:00-17:00 and 18:00-20:00 on Sunday September 17th 2017.
This programme of films from the IFI Irish Film Archive illustrates moments in the history of the Kish Lightship and the Kish Lighthouse
The films show life aboard the busy Kish Lighthouse (moored off the coast of Dublin in 1811) and later, the construction of the Lighthouse which was to replace it in 1965.
- Gael Linn – Amharc Éireann: Báid Solais 1957
- Gael Linn – Amharc Éireann: Eagran 267 1964
- Kish Lighthouse
A film made by Mr PV. Garrett on 8mm film during the construction of the Kish Lighthouse in Dun Laoghaire Harbour in 1963 and 1964. The film was deposited by Mr Garrett in the IFI Irish Film Archive for preservation.
The Kish Bank is a shallow sand bank about seven miles (11 km) off the coast of Dublin, in Ireland. Many ships were wrecked on these shallows.
In 1811 the Kish Lightship was moored on the Bank and began its job signaling the treacherous shallows to passing vessels until 1965 when it was replaced by the Kish Lighthouse.
In 1960 the Commissioners of Irish Lights decided to erect a reinforced concrete lighthouse with helicopter landing pad on top. The lighthouse was built in the Coal Harbour of Dún Laoghaire, and designed by Christiani & Nielsen. The first section of lighthouse cracked while it was being built and had to be discarded. The second telescopic lighthouse was completed, towed to its station, extended to its full height and installed on 27th July 1965. It is 100 feet (30 m) tall, with twelve floors inside, and with a 32-foot (9.8 m) wide helicopter platform on top. The lighthouse operates at between two and three million candlepower and is visible for 27 nmi (50 km). It was manned by Keepers until 1992 when the lighthouse was automated.
These films are from the IFI Irish Film Archive collection.
Huge thanks to Sunniva O’Flynn, Raelene Casey and Dean Kavanagh